Friday, August 20, 2010

Time to say good-bye

My grandmother passed away today. She has been an integral part of my whole life. I am one of only three grandchildren, all of us sisters. Needless to say, that allowed us to be very close to her. She was a great woman who loved us all so much. She was a wonderful grandmother who really took time to show us how she cared.

She would have been 89 in November. Until last summer, she lived by herself and still drove. She began having some falls, and through a course of events, we found out she had a brain tumor. She had a stroke and some mini-strokes last fall which lead to her being bed-ridden. She has been at home with my mother caring for her, with some help, too.

She was fiesty and fun. She loved shoes, and at one time had a pair to match every purse she owned. She loved taking us girls shopping for clothes, too. I remember when I was young that she would rub my ear when she talked with me. It was so loving and sweet.

I will miss her smile and sometimes mischievous laugh. I'll miss going by her house as I traveled to see other family or go home. I'll miss her cooking, too. She made great chicken and broccoli casseroles. Her hamburgers and french fries were so yummy. I'll miss getting the Hershey's Kisses she always had out for anyone who came by.

Goodbye, Mom! I love you and will see you someday. I know you are at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment