Friday, August 6, 2010

My Filing System

After reading much of the huge filing thread on The Well Trained Mind forums, I decided to take the plunge this year. After our first week of school, I can truly say I'm glad I did it. It was so nice to just take out Week 1 folder and go. I am planning David's history this year all on my own, so I'm glad that each week, I'll only have that planning to do.

Here are some pictures and details.

I had bought these file boxes a few months ago. The price was only $5 each, plus there are lids and stacking slots on top of the lids. I had not decided what I was going to do with these until the filing thread.

Each child has a file box. In the file boxes, I put monthly folders and 36 weekly folders. The monthly folders will be for supply lists, library books to pick up, etc. The weekly folders contain workbook pages and notes about specific assignments for the week.

Hannah, in 8th grade, is doing Sonlight Core 100 this year. I took the schedules and copied them, highlighting the portions she is to do. I also took apart the IG pages to place the appropriate discussion guides in the appropriate week. We are tweaking the schedule and having her do a novel a week, rather than a couple of novels over a couple or few weeks. She prefers to read this way, and it made the filing easier, too!
These are the file boxes I used last year for workboxes. It will be similar this year, but there will not be a schedule grid. I take the week's work from the big filing box and spread out by subject the work for this week. Some books are on shelves, but those that can fit will go in the box.
Instead of a schedule grid, I got these planners from http://www.goodnewsplanners.com/. I love the 2 page format and the little check off boxes in the upper right of each subject corner. This is where I will be keeping grades.

4 comments:

  1. Do you have the link for the WTM thread you were reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mamabug,
    I will warn you that it is very long! I hope it helps you. Here's the link. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189482

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered over from WTM forum/filing thread. Looks like you have a great system. I have been using the filing system to finish up our summer work and I am really enjoying knowing what we need to get done for the week.

    I am also getting reading to order those planners too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this! I love how you executed the idea...hmmm, perhaps I will "borrow" this from you!

    ReplyDelete