Saturday, September 18, 2010

Week of Sept 13th - 17th

We are 6 weeks into the school year...only 30 to go! We had a busy week because the co-op I direct starts next week. I've had a lot of emails, phone calls, etc. We actually started our week at the church where we will meet. I went by to set up our storage cabinet and meet parents who wanted to drop off applications and teachers who wanted to see their classrooms. It wasn't a very heavy week academically, mostly just the basics. I tried to plan it that way with co-op stuff going on. I did manage to get an artist study in this week. We read about Edward Hicks and The Peaceable Kingdom.

Hannah is starting a new Bible devotion book by The Navigators, The Life, A Journey With God. I hope she will enjoy it. She finished reading the next book in the Hakim series. She seems to enjoy reading the series. She also read Indian Captive, the Story of Mary Jemison. She did her usual lessons in math and grammar, as well as taking two tests in science and starting another chapter. I had her do a SAT practice essay, timing her for 25 minutes. I think it was a little shocking to her how fast the 25 minutes went by. I am glad to start her practicing now so that she can have it down pat before she has to really do it on a test.

David had lessons in math and grammar, geography, critical thinking. In reading, he read a play about the Pilgrims coming over on the Mayflower. In Bible, he learned about God giving the 10 commandments to Moses.

David is learning about Colonial life in history, so we got together with friends to do some projects. We learned about the daily life of the colonists and made a collage of foods the colonists would have eaten in various seasons.



We played a game that I have called Made For Trade. You travel around the colonial village (board) purchasing items from various shops.
We ate pineapple and berry syllabub. Colonists tried to grow pineapples inside, but the plants rarely produced fruit. The berry syllabub was juice mixed with sugar and added to heavy cream, then whipped into a yummy topping.


In science, David is studying about the human body. This week he learned about our skeleton and muscles. He cut out and labeled this skeleton. The "arm" was great at demonstrating how muscles work in pairs and shorten/lengthen as they move.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun and yummy week. :-p The Made for Trade game sounds great! My children always love studying that time period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely week! I love the collage. I'm getting ideas for my little one.

    Blessings!

    ps loved your daughter's room and colors! So pretty! I love Ikea furniture as well, just can't afford it, but it's the best as furniture quality goes. ;)

    ReplyDelete