Saturday, March 6, 2010

Week of March 1st

This week has been a little crazy. We did attend co-op on Monday, but the rest of the week was not our norm. My mother, who has been taking care of my grandmother for about 6 months, lost most of her sight in the past two weeks. She is diabetic and has an auto-immune disorder that can attack organs. She needed to have some procedures done on her eyes, so I went to be there and help her and my grandmother.

I dropped the kids off with my sister and went to my grandmother's house. The kids did actually get some schoolwork done while at her house (a little history, language arts, and math), but they mostly had fun with their aunt. Hannah is attending a discipleship retreat at our church. She'll have lots of bible study sessions. I'll do some more work with David this weekend, so they will get some school days out of this week, but not a full one.

My mother has fluid in her eyes that is seeping in from outside her eye. The diabetes has weakened the membranes or muscles around her eye allowing it to happen. While I was there her vision did improve slightly so we hope her body is absorbing the fluid. The doctors can see enough into one to know she has some bleeding going on, but could not see in the other at all.

Being available for family is such a blessing of homeschooling. I'm so glad that I could be there to help, and I know I could not if I were working and the kids in school.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your mother's health issues. I hope you are all able to return to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very busy week. We'll keep your Mom in our prayers and look forward to an update on her condition.

    ReplyDelete